This year's theme for National Nutrition Month®, “Go Further with Food” encourages healthy habits while being mindful of food waste. These Almond Butter Banana Muffin-Cakes put overripe bananas to good use on this snowy day!
Not your average banana bread - the supremely fluffy texture of these muffins borders cupcake territory (hence the name!), yet the healthy ingredients make them a comforting snack you can feel good about.
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 ground flaxseed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup almond butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 F, spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt).
3. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients (bananas through vanilla extract).
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
6. Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
Emily Navarro is a registered dietitian and owner of Emily Navarro Nutrition, LLC, a private practice offering nutrition services at Total Health Associates in Waldwick, NJ. For more healthy inspiration, visit www.emilynavarronutrition.com and follow Emily on Instagram @emilynavarro_nutrition